Table of Contents
Martin Scorsese quotes: Martin Charles Scorsese is an American director, producer, screenwriter, and film historian, whose career spans more than 50 years. Wikipedia . It seems to me that any sensible person must see that violence does not change the world and if it does, then only temporarily. Relationships between his characters – with soulmates Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio often in the leading roles – are marked by mistrust, fear, and betrayal. Violence is a key theme, as is the quest for spirituality.
Martin Scorsese quotes
- “The reality is, if I don’t do PR, I’m hurting the picture. And as many things as I did, that’s as many things as I turned down.”
- “It’s a very savage kind of humor, it comes out of a great deal of pain.”
- “Watching Dylan’s eyes as he searches for these words, you see it all happening there,Martin Scorsese
- “He represents the American tradition of excellence and honesty and integrity. In a sense, he was the Steven Spielberg of his time.”
- Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life time, we need to keep them alive.
- I guess I’m still cowed a little by the tyranny of art with a capital A. And there has always been the tyranny of the word over the image: anything that’s written has got to be better. Most people feel it’s more genuine if you express yourself in words than pictures. And I think that’s a problem in our society.
- I prefer the escapism of fantasy, rather than the escapism of incredible sentimentality. What I’m afraid of is pandering to tastes that are superficial. There’s no depth anymore. What appears to be depth is often a facile character study… But they’re making a product, and a product’s gotta sell.Martin Scorsese
- I’m fascinated by the idea of people in history… Just because the society around them and the world around them is very different, it doesn’t mean that they didn’t have the same feelings and desires, the same goals and the same things that haunt us in modern society. And in going into the past, maybe we can learn something about ourselves.”
Martin Scorsese Inspirational Quotes
You want to get films made that express what you have to say. You try to do that, but it’s a very delicate balance.”
It’s like an act of faith, or an act of worship. I get angry but I have to think, What are you doing? This is what you’re made for… You have to do this– that’s all you do…. it’s work equaling prayer.
Film is history. With every foot of film that is lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves.”
Black and white is never really black and white. It’s shades of grey.Martin Scorsese
on Akira Kurosawa: “The term ‘giant’ is used too often to describe artists. But in the case of Akira Kurosawa, we have one of the rare instances where the term fits.”
I considered it a true cinematic challenge of working with a versatile actor such as Robert De Niro, who moulds himself according to each character. The only other actor who matches his histrionic ability is Al Pacino.
I can’t take shooting any scene for granted. I just can’t. The moment I do that, I have no idea what I’m doing. “Oh, that’ll be easy, I’ll do that in five minutes.” Believe me, that never happens.”
Scorsese Quotes about filmmaking
There’s only one place for the camera. That’s the right place. Where is the right place? I don’t know. You get there somehow.”
Cinema is a matter of what’s in the frame and what’s out.
If I continue to make films about New York, they will probably be set in the past. The “new” New York I don’t know much about. It’s not that I’m against contemporary film. I’m open to it in general, but I find the new colors of the city, the new Times Square, kind of shocking. I guess I’m stuck in a time warp.Martin Scorsese
Because of the movies I make, people get nervous, because they think of me as difficult and angry. I am difficult and angry, but they don’t expect a sense of humour. And the only thing that gets me through is a sense of humour.
Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our lifetime, we need to keep them alive.
- I think this need to recreate movement is a mystical urge. It’s an attempt to capture the mystery of who and what we are, and then to contemplate that mystery.
- Young people need to understand that not all images are there to be consumed like fast food and then forgotten – we need to educate them to understand the difference between moving images that engage their humanity and their intelligence, and moving images that are just selling them something.”
Cute Scorsese Quotes
- As in the case of many great films, maybe all of them, we don’t keep going back for the plot. Vertigo is a matter of mood as much as it’s a matter of storytelling – the special mood of San Francisco where the past is eerily alive and around you at all times… And, as the film critic B. Kite wrote, you haven’t really seen Vertigo until you’ve seen it again.
- Most creation myths start with darkness, and then the real beginning comes with light – which means the creation of forms. Which leads to distinguishing one thing from another, and ourselves from the rest of the world.”
- We need to remember that there are other values beyond the financial and that our American artistic heritage has to be preserved and shared by all of us. Just as we’ve learned to take pride in our poets and writers, in jazz and the blues, we need to take pride in our cinema, our great American art form.
Martin Scorsese (1942), the director of such classics as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Hugo and The Wolf of Wall Street, has over time developed a unique style of filmmaking. The son of Italian immigrants, Scorsese grew up in Little Italy, New York, and his films paint a vibrant portrait of this close-knit community.Hope you like Martin Scorsese quotes. Share With other.Thank you